Together with MEP and former REVES co-president Jens Nilsson and Social Economy Europe, REVES now starts campaigning for the re-establishment of a Social Economy Intergroup at the European Parliament.
Intergroups are informal working groups bringing together MEPs from different political groups that are interested to develop joint activities around a specific subject.
Even though intergroups are rather considered 'platforms of exchange', their activities have often led to concrete political initiatives/legislation.
The Social Business Initiative launched by the European Commission is also a response to the claims of the European Parliament's Initiative Report on the Social Economy which, in turn, was a result of the work of the Social Economy Intergroup!
Only a limited number of intergroups can be established. The topics are voted/negotiated in and between the political groups in the beginning of each legislative term.
YOUR HELP IS ESSENTIAL - we need you to mobilise MEPs of different political groups (also smaller ones such as ALDE, GREENS OR GUE) in order to have their signature/vote for a social economy intergroup!
Please contact as many MEPs of your region/country as possible and ask them:
- to vote for the Social Economy Intergroup (see deadlines below);
- to mobilise the chairman of their political group for the Social Economy Intergroup.
Below you will find, for your orientation:
- the memorandum of the past Social Economy Intergroup (with all relevant information on its members, activities etc.);
- a call for votes/signatures targeting the MEPs.
Please keep in mind the following deadlines:
- 18 September: the conference of Presidents of the European Parliament (president of the European Parliament and chairmen of the different political groups) will decide on the number of signatures each political group has to collect to support a specific intergroup and, maybe, draw a first indicative list of intergroups (without taking a final decision);
- 22 October: Deadline for MEPs to submit proposals for intergroups;
- 26 November: vote within the political groups on the intergroups that will be promoted
- 9 December: Submission of the list of intergroups confirmed at the meeting of secretary generals of the different political groups
- 11 December: Decision of the Conference of Presidents